Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dorothy's* Peanut Squares


These are a staple for my Christmas baking-- even though they aren't exactly holiday looking (or even baked, for that matter). These bars are so high on the top of my favorite-things-to-eat list, that I can eat the whole pan myself. In fact, I do so every Christmas-- three times over. I make a pan for both of my sisters and a pan for my mom to include with our annual Cookie Exchange. I always end up eating all three of their pans of bars before ever making it to the exchange, and find myself having to whip up three more trays to replace the ones I've eaten. Luckily, they are quick and easy to make.

Ingredients
6 cups of Corn Flakes Cereal
1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 cup of light corn syrup
1 cup of chopped peanuts

Directions
Mix peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a large pan. Cook on medium high on the stove top until mixture is combined and starting to be bubbly, stirring pretty constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in Corn Flakes and Peanuts.

Press into a lightly greased/buttered 9x13 pan.

Allow to cool before cutting.

* I'm not sure who Dorothy is of the famed "Dorothy's Peanut Squares". This recipe was passed on to me from my mom, whose name is not Dorothy. If I recall correctly, she got the recipe from an old neighbor... whose name, interestingly enough, is also not Dorothy. Somewhere out there is a gal named Dorothy that is responsible for more than half of the weight I gain during the Christmas season.... I'd love to thank her someday.

3 comments:

MamaDotz said...

Oh Michele. You are making me gain SO MUCH WEIGHT HERE!! I can't stand all these great recipes. I haven't tried most of them yet, cause your too quick to put them out there, but I'm printing away and hope to find the ingredients and time very, very, VERY soon! Before my pants don't fit anymore!!! Have a wonderful day ~ Vicki

Becot said...

Dorothy was the aunt of an old (oops! sorry, Patty, I meant "former") neighbor of ours. I don't know if she was a good cook or not, but these bars were certainly a hit with our family ... and the fact they were easy to make made them even more so. I can attest to Michele's love of these bars and her inability to stop herself from eating the ones she makes for us every year at Christmas ... fortunately, she makes more so none of us suffers the loss.

Michele's Mom (and proud of it!)

shan said...

I just came across your blog, through a blog through a blog, (lol isnt that always the way) and I think its fantastic! Many I come across lately get so fussy and perfectionistic with their baking and crafts and any project they do that they forget fun! Yours is relaxed, personal, funny and I love the projects and recipes.. many are things I remember doing as a kid and forgot about, or new ones I wish I had done that are perfect for doing with my niece on a rainy day. (or by myself when Im in desperate need of a creative fun break lol).

This PB Bar recipe sounds so familiar to me.. my mother made something similar for my preschool graduation many many many (eh.. too many many's lol) years ago. We loved them, and lost the recipe, only to find it last year. I made them for my family at easter and they were a hit.
Ill have to find it for the exact measurements but Im pretty sure it was the same as yours...
it was 1 cup each PB, Light corn syrup, peanuts, 6 cups Kix cereal, and I think a 1/2cup of raisins. You mix and cook the liquids (like your recipe) then add to the dry and then with oiled hands you take little handfulls of the mix and roll it into balls. Put on wax paper to cool. They are great!
Before we found it again, I looked everywhere on every site, even the Kix recipe site.. and nothing. The recipe was from a 1980 cereal box.. so.. there ya go lol.
Thanks again for your fun blog!
Have a great day!
~shannon