Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bounty Bars- Coconut Chocolates



Just in time for Valentine's Day! How pretty are these coconut candies? They taste like a Mounds Bar or an Almond Joy, minus the joy of the almond! They are extremely sweet, so I cut them to be bite-sized. I'm sure you could cut them into more of a candy-bar size if you really want the full effect of a candy bar.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons butter (18 tablespoons)
3 cups shredded coconut
4 oz dark chocolate (I actually used semi-sweet)
2 Tbsp oil

Directions:

Dice butter; put cream, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan and heat until it boils, stirring almost constantly. Boil for another 5 minutes, while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.

Remove from heat and stir in coconut.

Line an 8x8 baking pan with waxed paper and pour the mixture into pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, turn it out onto a cutting board and remove the paper.

Cut it into cubes or into shape of a rectangular cuboid (which is the original shape of a Bounty candy bar).



Combine chocolate and oil in the top portion of a double boiler. Heat until melted. Dip each coconut cube in the melted chocolate to coat.

Allow to dry on waxed paper. I put it in the fridge to speed up the process.

Serve at room temperature (or cold.... whatever!).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look absolutely delicious!

Nancy (aka NancyandTim)

Suze said...

YUM!!! I love love Almond Joy, but my husband is anti almond...he'd love these! :)

Anonymous said...

mmmm, homemade bounty. what coud be better?

Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your blog.
Everything looks so yummy!
A feast for the eyes...I'll come back again soon :0)
BB from Ga.

Anonymous said...

I'm making this recipe as we speak, but I have had to add AT LEAST double the coconut (if not close to triple) because it was too liquidy. I hope it turns out :)

Michele said...

Oh no! I hope they turn out! I wonder why it's taking so much more? I just used regular shredded coconut that you get at the grocery store... nothing special. Eek! You'll have to pop back and let me know how they turn out!