Monday, July 5, 2010

BLT Bites


Every time my husband goes to a poker party at one of our friends house, I send with him an appetizer.  Usually I send Ranch Mushrooms (I swear I'll get around to taking pictures of the finished product so I can share the recipe some day!)  I knew when we were invited to their house for a Fourth of July party, that I needed to bring *the* mushrooms-- but I wanted to also bring along something else and these little gems did not fail me.  They came in a close second to the mushrooms; but I think the guys enjoyed having something else tossed into the mix!  I have a feeling I will be forever making mushrooms AND tomatoes on Poker Night!

I found this super easy recipe on the Taste of Home website.  I adjusted it a bit; less onion ( I used just two green onions) and I skipped the parsley all together.  Although it calls for cherry tomatoes, I could only find grape tomatoes on the particular day I was at the grocery store.  This created a bit of a challenge, as the grape tomatoes are much more slim and dainty for hollowing.  They also required an extra step of slicing a smidgen off the bottom so they would stand nicely!  Next time-- they had better have cherry tomatoes!

Ingredients


16 to 20 cherry tomatoes
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley



Directions

Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and discard pulp. (Since I used grape tomatoes, I found this easiest by using a paring knife along with a tiny little seafood fork.)  Invert the tomatoes on a paper towel to drain.
In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for several hours. Yield: 16-20 appetizer servings.
 

2 comments:

avisiontoremember said...

I am doing a 30 day food challenge on my blog for the month of august. I am looking for people to contribute recipes over that time. If you are interested please either leave a comment here or email me at boblyns at yahoo dot com



You can find out more information here on my blog at http://iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Thanks
Bobbie
www.avisiontoremember.etsy.com
www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Gabriela said...

Isn't it funny how if you make one great dish it becomes *the* only thing anyone requests for your potluck contribution!? Haha, the same thing happened with my flan, so I rarely get to try something new. Those BLT bites look tasty though!