Friday, June 19, 2009

Homemade BBQ Sauce


This is what my dad will be getting for Father's Day. He specifically requested no gifts, just like my mom did for Mother's Day. However, I still gave a little jar of something to my mom, so he's going to get a little jar of something, as well! I went with BBQ sauce since he'd probably prefer that over what my mom received, hehe!

Originally, I had a recipe for Martha Stewart's BBQ sauce posted here. I'm replacing it-- I hadn't yet made/tasted it when I posted the recipe and I just got done making it and it's terrible! There is no way I could give it to anyone; my husband wouldn't even try it after just smelling it. So this replacement recipe was one that I've been planning on making but hadn't had the chance to do so. It's from my friend Marie, so at least a real person has tried it and liked it! (Not that Martha Stewart isn't a real person, hehe!)

The photo is still from Martha. I haven't had a chance to take a cute picture of mine, but I loved the idea of the tag and the brush attached to it!


Ingredients:

1/2 med onion, minced
1 tsp minced garlic
4 tbs butter
1/4 c honey
2 c brown sugar (this was seriously too much- I had to make a second batch without any sugar in it and combine the two just to tame it. So I'd go with 1 cup for one batch, and that's still sweet!)
2 c ketchup
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
cayenne powder (to your liking- I used about 1/4 a tsp)
1 chipotle canned pepper, in adobo sauce (whole)

In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the butter (on medium) until translucent, then stir in the honey.

Add the ketchup and brown sugar; stir until well Incorporated.

Add the vinegar and seasonings and chipotle pepper.

Allow it come to a boil on med heat then turn down to low to simmer until it cooks down. Since there is a lot of sugar in this you will want to stir often while it is cooking down so that the sugars don't burn on the bottom of the pan.

The seasoning will develop and be more intense once it has cooked down. Cook for about 15 min; when it is done it is a beautiful rich brown/red color.

Blend to puree before pouring into jars. Store in refrigerator for 2 weeks.

No comments: