Friday, May 23, 2008

Fruit Kabobs


This is actually the arrangement I made last year for Memorial Day. I got the idea from one of my aunt's that had made a similar fruit kabob arrangement. I loved it so much, I decided to make one and use it as our edible centerpiece!

Ingredients:

Various fresh fruits (I used the following so it would be a rainbow order)
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Pineapple
Green grapes
Red grapes
Wooden skewers
Half a head of cabbage (or iceberg lettuce would probably work, too)

Method:

Cut up fruits into about 1 1/2 inch pieces. Slide onto skewers in the order that suits you, leaving a couple of inches free on the bottom end of the skewer (the pointy end) and about an inch at the top (this allows guests a place to grasp when they choose their kabob).

I found that it was best to end with grapes.... as they are strong enough and stay tight enough to the skewer that they will hold everything else up on the stick. If you end with something like watermelon, you may have a problem with the weight of the other fruits above it causing it to slide down the skewer.

Place half a head of cabbage, cut side down, in the bottom of a decorative basket

When your skewers are complete, poke each one randomly into the cabbage. The cabbage will hold the skewers in place.

**Some fruits may stain your basket if they come into contact with it**

1 comment:

MamaDotz said...

Love to read all your entries, Michele. Hope your having a healthy and happy Spring. Can't say anything nice about the weather so I'll just grin and bear it---YUCK!!! :)

Have a wonderful day ~ Vicki