Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Make some sweet treats to present to your Valentine by melting some chocolate and cutting with cookie cutters. These are perfect toppers to cakes, cupcakes, ice cream or even presented by themselves. They literally take a few minutes to make.
What you need:
Quality chocolate (milk, white, dark... it's up to you)
What you do:
1. Melt chocolate either in a double boiler on the stove or in a microwave-safe bowl. I opted for the microwave, and used two blocks of chocolate bark. I set it for 1 minute on high, stirred and then cooked another 30 seconds until it was melted.
2. Using a spatula, spread chocolate into a thin layer onto wax paper.
3. While chocolate is setting up, but still a bit soft, press cookie cutters into the chocolate to cut a shape (don't go anywhere... it took mine about a minute of setting up before it was ready). Work quickly.
4. Using a spoon, drizzle with melted chocolate of another variety (optional). (If you mix the drizzle chocolate with a teensy bit of vegetable shortening, it will be thinner, allowing you to drizzle it easily.)
* Use a cheese grater to sliver the leftover chocolate scraps to use on cakes, pies and ice cream.