Monday, May 11, 2009

Edible Fruit Centerpiece


My friend, Janean, recently made an edible centerpiece like this one, so I decided to make one for Mother's Day. It's very similar to the Fruit Kabobs, but these have a cute flower made by using a cookie cutter and a melon baller.

I usually stuff my kabob sticks into a halved head of cabbage that is tucked inside of a serving bowl or container of some type, but this time I thought I would try using a halved melon (since I already had the melon for the kabobs). I don't recommend trying that! It was stinky! Raw cabbage doesn't have an odor after it's been halved, like the melon does. I ended up taking the melon dome out and using some lemons I had on hand as my kabob holder. Next time, I'll stick with the cabbage!

When making the flowers, all you have to do is thinly slice the pineapple (you don't even have to cut the outer skin away) and use a cookie cutter to slice your flower shape. Use a melon baller to make the inside of the flower and skew them both on the same skewer.

The other fruits were just wedged and skewed. One thing I did do was to skew grapes underneath all of the fruits. They seem to grab the wooden skewer and hold the heavier fruits up. They also hide the look of a bunch of sticks coming out of the centerpiece.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

It was as yummy as it was beautiful!!!!

Megan said...

This is so cute. Looks like the ones I see on tv for mucho bucks! I'll have to try one of these!

janean said...

Hey! I made your blog, I must be a true Skillet! I just use floral foam as the base, it's cheap, and non-stinky!

TeaLady said...

this is beautiful. Looks just as good as the pro ones they sell on TV. Great job!