Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chunky Applesauce


This is one of my daughter's favorite recipes. It makes your entire house smell so scrumptious that you will find yourself going outside over and over checking to see if the mail came just so you can be hit with the incredible smell as you walk in your home. And if you eat it while it's still warm, it's a little taste of heaven right here on earth.

*Note* I only made half a batch in my photos-- but here is the full recipe:



8-10 Granny Smith Apples (or any tart apple)
1/2 - 1 cup of sugar (I used 3/4 cup and it was pretty sweet... but perfect!)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Peel and slice apples into small chunks/slices. If you have The Pampered Chef Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer, consider yourself lucky! Look how fast and slick it works!


Here is what the apple looks like directly after using the Peeler/Corer/Slicer (and cut in half with a knife):



Put all ingredients in crock pot and gently stir.



Cover crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until apples are tender.

(I cooked on high for just over 3 hours and it worked out just great!) Also, my friend Nancy shared with me that you can also do this same exact recipe in a pan on a stove top in one hour! Good to know for when you want it fast!

2 comments:

tims_mom said...

I never realized you could make it in a crockpot, until you said so. I've only ever made it on the stove, ala a recipe from my Grandma....

Did I mention she used to throw cinnamon redhot candy in hers, to make it pink?

Nancy

MamaDotz said...

Oooh, I like the red hot idea. For extra zing AND color! Thanks ladies! ~Vicki