Thursday, December 18, 2008
Here is a new take on chocolate covered pretzels-- perfect treats for little ones to help make and gobble up for the holidays.
What you need:
Pretzel thins (classic size, not mini's)
Chocolate candy coating/almond bark
Red m&m's, regular size
Mini m&m's or other candy
What you do:
1. Melt chocolate in microwave (be careful to not overcook. If you need to thin your chocolate, use a teaspoon of shortening, NOT milk, butter or water)
2. Open and lay out all of the ingredients for as many reindeer as you will want to do. I started by placing the pretzel thins (classic) on a long stretch of wax paper, with about 3-4 inches in between each one. Also, I cut the fruit roll ups into strips that were about 1/2 inch by 6 inches (for the scarf).
3. One at a time, dip the pretzel rod into the melted chocolate, covering 3/4 of the rod. Place the tip of a dipped rod onto the pretzel thin. I also placed a pretzel thin at the bottom of the rod to make it level as the chocolate dried. (see picture)
4. Carefully maneuver the cut fruit-roll up strip and wrap around the bottom end of the chocolate to mimic a scarf.
5. Place a red m&m on the chocolate as a nose and two mini m&m's/candy as eyes to make the reindeer face.
6. Allow to dry completely before removing from waxed paper.