Monday, July 21, 2008

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, a la camping style!





We went camping over the weekend and I tried to make as many creative meals as possible. I have vivid memories of camping as a child and using pie iron to make a wonderful campfire treat using bread, butter and pie filling. I used the same pie irons to make our lunch one of the days (and of course the fruit pies at night). If you like to camp, or even like to have recreational fires in your own yard, I highly suggest a pie iron! You can make so many yummy treats and it's almost as fun to make them as it is to eat them.

You make a grilled cheese sandwich just as you would at home in your kitchen:

Butter one side of two slices of bread and place a slice or two of cheese between the bread.



Place the sandwich, butter sides out, into the pie iron.



Place the pie iron onto some hot coals and leave there for a few minutes. I actually continually open the pie iron up to check it because it burns fast! I think we ended up cooking it for about 2-3 minutes on each side... but be sure to check it often!



Each sandwich you make after the first one will not take as long since the pie iron will be hot.

3 comments:

Tasha Posey said...

Oh the things you can make with a campfire. Yum yum!

Marye said...

YUM! Nothing better than camping food
blessings, 'marye
bakingdelights.com

Megan said...

Great idea, I might have to pick up a couple of those irons! We camp alot and that would be a great simple lunch.
I have a little award on my blog for you!